Pages

Thursday, April 3, 2014

Year of Thank4ness starts...NOW

GOODBYE 23. HELLO 24!! Today is the day, 24 years ago that I finally decided to make my entrance into the world. With the help of induction and forceps, 12 days later than expected. But God had a plan. He always has a plan. And this is how I plan to honor Him and grow in Him this year. I wrote this blog a week ago, but feel God doing so much through it already that I wanted to repost it. Enjoy! 


With one week left in my 23rd year on this planet, I find myself blown away by everything this year contained. I don't think a list will even start to cover it all, but for the sake of time, that's what I have to work with. 

-got my first job as an RN (technically this was before 23) and fall in love with cardiac care
-visited Kenya with Alison and spent the first Easter away from home
-got engaged to the man of my dreams
-planned a wedding, in 3 weeks
-got married
-went on a 3 day honeymoon
-learned my mom had breast cancer
-watched my mom undergo surgery and get a more intense diagnosis
-packed most of my life
-left the US for Kenya
-started a new job with little to no help or guidance
-learned how to be a wife, in Kenya, without a car, or any idea where I was
-watched my new job crumble in front of me 
-got sick and spent some time in a Kenyan hospital (yikes)
-made the decision to leave Kenya 
-got another new job on a cardiac icu floor
-moved to Saline (yet another new place)
-bought a new car

I'm pretty sure I have missed major parts of the last year in my effort to streamline the chaos, but you catch my drift. 23 was a VERY full year. And if I'm being perfectly honest, I have lost track of how many times during that year that I have felt that God took me somewhere just to put me on a shelf and forget about me. I know deep down that God never abandons us, but I was pretty sure that He was trying his best to see me but not be seen by me. There are still days where it feels like that is the new normal and seeing God like I used to is not reality any more. 
But God is still God and I refuse to believe that I have to stay in this place, emotionally and spiritually. So I decided that I'm going to move forward and I'm going to pursue His promises no matter what. And just because I can't see Him always, doesn't mean that I can abandon everything I have learned. 
I want 24 to be different. 23 was hard, and 24 might be just as hard if not worse, but my mindset doesn't have to be the same. My defeat doesn't have to encompass every part of my life and every day. I can choose. I can choose to be thankful. 
So this year is what I'm calling "The Year of Thank4ness" and my commitment is to be thankful every day for the little things that I let slip through the cracks or the things about my husband and others that annoy me or the life God has given me here and now. There is always something to be thankful for because His love and His blessings are everywhere. I just have to train my eyes and heart to see it. Thanks to a brainstorming session with Drew, I have come up with a few ways to keep myself accountable and to help show others that thankfulness really can change our lives and views. From April 12, 2014 to April 12, 2015 I will be making lists in my phone, on paper, on Instagram, on Facebook, and on my blog. I know no one wants to read all of them every day, that would be ridiculous. But I do want a record and journal of all God is doing in my heart. So most of my lists will be private, but once a week, I am committing to blogging about how this experience is changing my thoughts and what God is showing me through it all. I'm expecting big things. Because we serve a big God that honors our hearts and commitments to Him. So don't be surprised to see the occasional #yearofthank4ness hashtag on Instagram or Facebook status update. Because when God does amazing things, we shouldn't just keep them to ourselves. We should share them and bring honor and glory to our Savior. 

So join me, if you like, because I can't wait to see what God does during my #yearofthank4ness. 

P.S. "The Year of Thank4ness" is a play on my 24th year, in case you missed that connection :) I just needed a cool name and hashtag! 

No comments:

Post a Comment