Pages

Monday, May 13, 2013

What are you waiting for?


3 weeks from today, I have the privilege of picking my handsome man up from the airport to spend 2 whole months in the US (the longest amount of time we have spent in the same place). And I find myself more and more anxious for the day I get to see him. Of course that's normal, but it made me think, do I do this with every part of my life? Do I live in anticipation of what's coming and miss the things God has set out for me to do today? I know in my relationship, the distance and time changes are far more stressful than either of us could have imagined, and I find myself very angry and frustrated by the fact that Drew needs to sleep when I'm in the middle of a catastrophe. Don't get me wrong, he is incredibly supportive and we do all that we can in order to support and be there for each other, but I know that I cannot wait to have him in the same time zone and state again soon. But I miss things. The other night he stayed up really late to talk since we hadn't seen each other the entire week and the very next day I jumped on him for something little and pointless, making his sacrifice the day before seem pointless and unrecognized. In my quiet time with Jesus today, I couldn't help but A) be convicted of hurting the man God has miraculously brought into my life, but B) wonder how many times we do this with God. How many times does He bless us or reveal Himself to us and we turn right around and blame Him for something else and completely dismiss the incredible thing He did for us right before? How many times do we look forward and miss the things the little "distractions" He has for us to do today? How many things have I failed to thank Him for or do in His name because my focus is on what's coming instead of what is here now? How can we shift our focus to see what He has for us to see, today, this minute? 

There's probably a Hillsong song that can apply to every part of our lives, but as I prayed for His eyes, these lyrics poured into my heart and convicted me in ways I cannot describe.

"Open up my eyes for the things unseen, show me how to love like You have loved me. Break my heart for what breaks Yours, everything I am for Your kingdoms cause" 

Show me how to love like You love me....everything comes back to love. I know it sounds so fundamental, but it is. If we learn to love people like Christ loves us, we won't miss the here and now. If we learn to love like Christ and love like He loves us we will see the things that are unseen. If we love people like Christ loves us, our hearts will break for what breaks His. And everything we are will be for His cause. 

And since I started with him, selfishly, if I learn to love like Christ, I would be able to love Drew more fully and be able to show him my appreciation for everything he does loving me. 


While love is the greater commandment and the basis for everything we are called to as "little Christ's", I believe there is another piece to this, a piece that I think is just as hard, if not harder in my opinion, than loving like Christ loves us. 

"...For I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content." ~Philippians 4:11b

Content: satisfied with what one is or has; not wanting more or anything else. 

How many times can you say you are truly "content"? I know I look at the definition and can list a dozen instances from just today that I'm not even close to content. I want my man home, I want to know what God is doing in my life, I want to know when I can go back to the continent that's home, I want to be out of my parents house, I want all sorts of things. And I think that if I can just make it to the next thing that ill be happy or at peace or feel like I'm where I need to be. But nothing in the Word talks about waiting or being anxious about what is ahead. In fact, there are countless references and commands to "not be anxious about ANYTHING" but instead to be content in where Christ has us and what He has called us to and trusting that His plan and timing is perfect in every part of our lives. I'm the first one to be convicted, but being content, allows us to love and shift our focus from our own situations to the lives and circumstances of those around us. And ultimately, gives our Father all the glory in every part of our lives, which is what we are all created for and called to. 


No comments:

Post a Comment