Pages

Friday, October 26, 2012

"You're Beautiful"

(written 10/24/12)

I see Your face in every sun rise
The colors of the morning are inside Your eyes
The world awakens in the light of the day
I look up to the sky and say
You're Beautiful

In Mozambique, the day starts when the sun comes up. I realize that this happens in many cultures and time zones all over the world, but in Mozambique, a place where electricity is not a common utility in the homes, the sun is greatly relied upon for work. In my house, the chickens wake up first, followed by Avõ, then the kids and then me. They let me sleep in a bit, since I was a guest but most days still started around 5:30. The door of our house opens to the most beautiful sunrise I have ever seen and somehow, sweeping and crushing mandioka for breakfast isn't as terrible with God's beautiful sunrise starring me in the face and His eyes looking down on me. Not many things are awake in the world when the sun rises and families don't really start to communicate with each other or others until later. And even tho I find it hard to form words in English at 5 am let alone Portuguese, there is a stillness and a peace that my Abba is in the very center of, beginning every day with His love and beauty.

I see Your power in the moonlit night
Where planets are in motion and galaxies are bright
We are amazed in the light of the stars
It's all proclaiming who You are
You're Beautiful

I wish there were words in one of the five languages I have learned on this trip to describe the brilliancy of stars when there is no electricity for miles and His creation is the only thing visible but none come to mind even after laying under them for 6 weeks. Not one word, not 500 words could describe how incredible my God is and how beautiful His stars are. As I laid under the stars, my host family thinking I'm crazy, and starred up at the moon, stars, and galaxies that I could see from the rock in front of our house, perfectly curved to my back and neck, I saw the amazing complexities and intricacies of the sky and just how creative my Father got when creating the world. But more than that, His thoughts for me outnumber those stars He created. I tried to count one small section of one tiny expanse of the sky. I couldn't even tackle that much, let alone the entire sky! I'm so unworthy of that many thoughts and that much care and ultimately that much grace. Laying under the stars is by far the most humbling experience. I have never felt so small, yet so loved in my entire life. Night brings a welcomed breeze thru our house and porch. The atmosphere changes when the sun goes down. Families make dinner and spend time unwinding together before heading to bed, around 8 pm because the sun has gone away and so has the ability to see. But for a short while, everything stops. No more working, no cooking, no yelling, at my house everything stops and Avõ and I just sit together starring out over the land. We don't usually say much. Sometimes Avõ gives me a quick Lomway lesson, but other than that we simply sit together and enjoy the quality time and silence we have been given. His power is more evident in the stars, but His presence also fills the air and calms our spirits, together.

I see You there hanging on a tree
You bled and then You died and then You rose again for me
Now You are sitting on Your heavenly throne
Soon we will be coming home
You're Beautiful

Life in Mozambique is not an easy one. Ministering in Mozambique is very challenging. But my Jesus hung on a tree, bled, died, and rose again for me. And for Avõ. And for Jame. And for Esperanca. And for every person here in Mozambique. When days aren't easy, and most aren't, it's easy to lose sight of the mission. It's hard to keep the focus on Jesus' sacrifice and sharing His love with everyone in this country and the world. But that is why we are alive and why I am on this trip, to spread His love and grace to the ends of the earth and to share what Jesus did on the cross for each and every one of us.

When we arrive at eternity's shore
Where death is just a memory and tears are no more
We'll enter in as the wedding bells ring
Your bride will come together and we'll sing
You're Beautiful

I have had many hard days here in Mozambique. I have been tested and tried in ways I never thought I would be or really wanted to be. At times, I have questioned why I'm even here and what my presence is doing for my family and the community. But I'm reminded at my plan is nothing. And His plan is everything. His plan is perfect. His timing is perfect. He has a purpose for it all. I am not called to plant, water, and see growth, and tend the field, and reap the harvest. He has called me here for this season and I don't have any entitlement to see the other seasons. I finally understand that if I don't understand why I was here, until I get to heaven and recognize a Mozambican face from my time here, that it will be enough. I'm satisfied with trusting Him and His plan to know that it doesn't matter what I see, His plan will be carried thru to completion. And I can't wait to get to heaven and join the rest of the bride to sing praises to my God, with the Mozambicans He brought to Himself thru our time here.

I see Your face
You're Beautiful
You're Beautiful
You're Beautiful

Everywhere I look, there are faces. Faces of children. Faces of grandmothers. Faces of men. Faces of mothers. Faces of orphans. But in their face, no matter how broken, tired, or lonely, I see His face. And it is a beautiful beautiful face filled with a joy like none other. God is here in Mocuba, Mozambique. No matter how hard it may be to see at times. He is here and living and working in ways we may never see, but will bring Him more glory than any of us could have ever imagined.

The past 2 nights, I have sang praise and worship songs at night while avõ and I sit on the mat. I always start with "You're Beautiful" because of all the meaning and beauty behind the song. I sing alone and started because I missed music and time with my Savior, but I also know that God moves in worship and, especially in my life, uses it in ways I am constantly blown away by. 2 nights ago as I was singing, Belo avos 8 year old grandson who is visiting from Milange, came running over from his house and said "Ti-Tia (aunt in Portuguese) you're beautiful you're beautiful!" and he began to sing the chorus. So I sang the verses and he sang the chorus with me. Part of the way thru, Jame joined in on the chorus. After we had finished, Belo folded his hands and asked me to pray. So I prayed over the two little boys sitting and praising Jesus with me. Then Belo prayed. Then Jame. The next night, Belo's brother Beliniu joined us and he sang and prayed with us. And any time Belo and I just sat together, we sang "You're Beautiful." Fighting back tears, I thanked God for the little sign of hope and the beauty He is creating in this place as I leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment